Sunday, February 22, 2015

First Sunday Of Lent

It's another Sunday but not just any Sunday, it's the first Sunday of Lent 2015.  We had a great visit with Father Mike Halloran from Wilmington Friday and we got our ashes Wednesday thanks to Rich Burwinkel.

We read the Little Black Book everyday.  It is distributed at most Catholic Churche's across the US.  This week we learned how the famous "Po Boy" sandwiches started in the Great Depression down in New Orleans.  We learned about Luke's Gospel of Compassion.  It is the longest of the Gospels, about 23,000 words.  He added the Acts of the Apostles and those two make up over one fourth of the entire New Testament.

Friday's readings were on Covenants.  Moses and his people made a covenant in blood with God.  It's been honored for centuries.  You did not break a covenant and now you can't even trust many people with their own word.  The US has the most attorneys of any country in the world.

“This is the sign that I am giving for all ages to come,
of the covenant between me and you
and every living creature with you:
I set my bow in the clouds to serve as a sign
of the covenant between me and the earth.
When I bring clouds over the earth,
and the bow appears in the clouds,
I will recall the covenant I have made
between me and you and all living beings,
so that the waters shall never again become a flood
to destroy all mortal beings.”

"I am familiar with covenants, that's what marriage vows are.  I can catch the the implications of the eucharistic covenant if I picture God speaking vows to me.

"I God, take you LuAnn to be my own, to and to hold, from this day forward, for better for worse(including sin), for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health...
and when you die, my Son will walk with you though death and bring you safely home to peace and joy and life... forever.

Remember, a covenant involves both parties.  We have to speak our part.

I Ed, take you God to be my own..."

Pretty powerful stuff, that's what we've been through this week.

We wish you a blessed week and hope this weather turns quickly for all of us.

The 10 day still looks like winter and I guess March could too.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment