Sunday, August 31, 2014

Grandma, Grandpa Tired

Yesterday our sweep auger broke so grandma and grandpa had to shovel on a semi load of wheat.  I really didn't think we could do it but we did.

We didn't do it by ourselves, we had a smallish 17 year old helping us.  He shoveled like a trooper and was very happy with his "hazard pay."  I don't let just anyone go inside a grain bin but we are down to the last 1000 bushels in a 30 foot bin and you can't get trapped.  You can get sick from grain dust or step into the auger hole but neither of those were much of a threat either.

I don't know how many people still shovel out bins but no one want I've met wants to do it.  We caught the hot weather cooler with a nice breeze which really helped.  I think God was in charge of this whole deal from the day I first walked in my neighbor's field of Lion wheat to certify it, to the day we planted it, to the days we harvested it.

One good thing it did is help grandma see what good seed it is.  She said that was some of the prettiest seed she'd ever seen in her life and she started shoveling as a child like it did.  Not every farm wife would enthusiastically volunteer that job like she did.  It rekindled my deep respect for her farm background and everything we've through together for 15 years now.  Heck of a way to build your relationship, isn't it?

Today we are both stiff and sore and will probably moan a little but I have a great sense of thanks due to our accomplishment.

Once again God took something bad and made something good out of it.

I wish I had a picture to show you but we were kind of caught up in the moment yesterday and taking pictures was not on our agenda.

We didn't think shoveling wheat was either 24 hours ago.

Ed Winkle

No comments:

Post a Comment