Sunday, December 15, 2013

30 Things We Need

And 30 things we don't. I think this is a pretty good list, don't you? Today's picture is from a Cathedral taken during Holland in Bloom.

30 Things We Need — and 30 We Don't
 The Productivity Paradox: How Sony Pictures Gets More Out of People by Demanding Lessby Tony Schwartz
Do you have the feeling, as I do, that in the tsunami of everyday life, we're getting too much of stuff we don't need, and not enough of what we do? Herewith my first set of suggestions about how to redress the imbalance:

WE NEED LESS: WE NEED MORE:
Information: Wisdom
Shallow billionaires: Passionate teachers
Self-promotion: Self-awareness
Multitasking: Control of our attention
Inequality: Fairness
Sugar: Lean protein
Action: Reflection
Super sizes: Smaller portions
Private jets: High-speed trains
Calculation: Passion
Experts: Learners
Blaming: Taking responsibility
Judgment: Discernment
Texting: Reading
Anger: Empathy
Output: Depth
Constructive criticism: Thank-you notes
Possessions: Meaning
Righteousness: Doing the right thing
Answers: Curiosity
Long hours: Longer sleep
Complaining: Gratitude
Sitting: Moving
Selling: Authenticity
Cynicism Realistic: optimism
Self-indulgence: Self-control
Speed: Renewal
Emails: Conversations
Winning: Win-win
Immediate gratification: Sacrifice

I am try to be more on the right side of this equation and I really struggle with some of these!  However I would rate myself as having gone more from the left side of these word equations to the right side of them.  It's been a natural progression for me over my lifetime experience of trying to do what is right and compared to not living like I should.

As far a material goods, there are a bunch of things that would make my life easier and rewarding but not really a thing I need.  I do see I am going to need another load of wood on our wood porch in the next week or so and that's about it!

The long nights and short, dreary days give me more time for reflection.  In a week, we will turn the corner and start to move the other way!

I think I or any pastor could write a sermon over about anyone of these, don't you think?

Have a blessed Sunday,

Ed Winkle

No comments:

Post a Comment