Friday, March 22, 2013

Who Will Be My 100th Follower?

I saw this week I have 99 followers.  What is a follower?  In Google terms, it is whoever took the time to go through the process of following a blog spot.  It used to be easy, now it is more complicated.  Who wants to take the time to become a follower of HyMark Blogspot?

I know I earned 99 followers one person at a time.  Someone saw something I wrote that they agreed with enough that they were willing to take the steps to follow this blog.  I salute you!  The list of blogs I try to follow is under my profile on this blog.  You can become my 100th follower by logging into Google or another account.

Being a follower doesn't really mean much.  It is fun for me to see the numbers rise since I started blogging over 4 years ago when LuAnn challenged me to write my own blog.  Now it has become challenging yet still enjoyable,  just to write this.

I have a great story I heard yesterday.  There were 235 prime farm acres for sale near our new farm.  The grandson had farmed it all his life and now he is a middle aged farmer with a Suburban full of little blond kids.  I have known his dad since my early days of tractor pulling.  I remember when he proudly showed his beautiful black steer 25 years ago or so in his Wilmington FFA jacket.  I could never get my students to that on a hot day but he did it.

The family decided to sell it while capital gains were still known before the first of the year.  He couldn't get financing in time so a neighbor stepped in and paid cash for the farm until he could get his financing!  I told that to LuAnn and she said that man will go straight to heaven!  It's a heart warming story that I hope influences our ag community to stick together.  That is hard to do when you are running a farm business and land prices have doubled in just a few years.

A reader asked yesterday after reading my blog, how do you calculate the salt load of liquid fertilizer so you know how much of what to put on?  That's a great question we could dedicate a blog to but I will answer his question with this good link from Spectrum Analytic, who I use to test fertilizers with.

Take time to read the link.  It makes me wonder how we got by loading so much salt beside the row with heavy loads of nitrate fertilizer.  At 10 gallons or so it isn't so bad but when you double that, here is where the structured RO water makes a better solution for the baby plants to take from the soil.

I would love to have a spreader like my friend to "spread my salt load" out evenly.

I hope this all makes sense.

Ed

1 comment:

  1. Thank you number 100! That was fast! I don't keep track of followers so I wonder who it is?

    ReplyDelete