Tuesday, November 1, 2011

61 days


There are only 61 days left to this year! What a year it has been too, with rainfall and consecutive 90 degree days tied or broken. I think most of us want to put this year behind us but we aren't ready for winter, either.

Some people shelled corn yesterday and others cut soybeans. It was plenty damp for either operation with beans around 15% and most corn well over 21%. Everyone recognizes though our chance of getting a good harvest streak is reducing every day and soon winter will be here.

I am still hoping for a good week of Indian summer but every week that looks like it has some rain thrown in. Maybe that is the best we will get.

One of my young friends told me the zinc he priced was high so I mentioned he might post it on Crop Talk and sure enough another friend sold him some product at an affordable price he couldn't find in his neighborhood.

Like most soil test results I have read this fall he need, P, K, S, Zn, Mn and B on his fields. 300 lbs of these blended nutrients is about $110 per acre in my neighborhood and that is total spread, not total nutrients. That 33-52-60-21-1Zn-1Mn-1B for me, for nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, sulfur and the 3 micro nutrients.

Those fall seeded radishes are getting some size and storing all of those valuable nutrients. I wish I had them on every acre but I don't.

We had trick or treaters and guests last night and another full day. Today looks like another full day so I better get working on it.

Have a great day and God's Blessings to you all.

Ed Winkle

1 comment: