Monday, April 4, 2011

Noah's Ark

LuAnn here, again, filling in for my dear blogger. I was driving home from work tonight and there was a lot of standing water from the storm that blew through here today.

I drive the same state routes twice a day, five days a week, and I have gotten to know the landscape pretty well.

I watched sadly after the DHL closing announcement as homes went up for sale; I watched as people planted their gardens in the spring and harvested in the fall; I have seen the same kids get on the bus every morning for seven years and watched them grow from kids to young adults; I have watched the farm fields turn from spring to summer to fall to winter year after year, crop after crop; I have seen garage sales and new campers, new roofs, and new cars...you learn a lot by observing the passing landscape.

By far, my favorite thing to watch as I drive each day is the animals along my route. Cows, sheep, horses, geese, llamas and some ornery dogs inhabit the farms and fields that I pass each day. This morning I noticed an adult horse, all curled up, laying down sound asleep as I drove by. I always thought horses slept standing up so it was quite a site to see this one all cozy in the grass. The other day, I saw a baby, brand new baby foal. Adorable! It, too, was alseep in the grass.

Tonight all the pastures were flooded and the fields were empty and the sky was dark and dreary. The wind was blowing and in places my wipers could barely keep up. There sure was not time or safe place to observe the countryside.

I don't know whether it was the rain or the image of the animals the last couple of days, but my mind wandered to the story of Noah's Ark. Now, whether you are a believer or not, you have to admit it is a pretty darn good story.

Did anyone happen to catch the movie a few years ago?? It was a blast! Let your imagination run for a few moments...suspend your disbelief for a few moments and try to picture this mammoth ship, every animal imaginable, the rising waters, the cacaphony of animal sounds, the animal smells, and the FOOD it would take to keep them all fat and happy for forty days and forty nights! Doesn't it just stretch your imagination to the limits to try to picture it?? I love it! And so I thought about Noah and his brood as I drove through the rain.

Well, soon I pulled into the driveway to one very wet dog who was very happy to see me...charged past me into the house....shook all over before she dove into her crate....tracks leading the way for anyone who might not be able to follow their nose and the wet dog smell to find her.....trust me you could find her with your eyes closed by following the wet dog smell!!

So, no, Noah I am not.....one an-e-mule (as Ed loves to tease me by saying) is enough for me....I heard the sun is supposed to shine tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment