Saturday, March 12, 2011

Time Change


Daylight Savings Time goes into effect tonight at 2 AM. Does it really help?

"Daylight saving time (DST)—also summer time in British English and European official terminology respectively (see Terminology)—is the practice of temporarily advancing clocks during the summertime so that afternoons have more daylight and mornings have less. Typically clocks are adjusted forward one hour near the start of spring and are adjusted backward in autumn.[1] Modern DST was first proposed in 1895 by George Vernon Hudson.[2] Many countries have used it since then; details vary by location and change occasionally.

The practice has been criticized.[1] Adding daylight to afternoons benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours,[3] but causes problems for farming, evening entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun.[4][5] Its effect on health and crime is less clear. Although an early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity,[6] modern heating and cooling usage patterns differ greatly, and research about how DST currently affects energy use is limited or contradictory."

I guess I can live with it either way but at might point in life I would rather have one set time. It seems like screwing around with my clock by a bunch of politicians. Yes I have read all the pro's and con's.

Time was based on daylight hours so it makes a little sense but still seems like manipulation for me.

Lots of people are really rocked by it. Sometimes I am and sometimes I am not.

I have been waking up an hour early so maybe I will be just right this time.

Ed Winkle

2 comments:

  1. Ed, twice a year I am again thankful I live in Sask. where the govt. has had the good sense to leave the clocks alone. In spite of a few agitators who would like to get in a round of golf before the sun sets in the summer time. Of course being self employed and setting my own work hours has a lot to do with my thoughts on the subject too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph, I think man's messing around with clocks is another form of greed, don't you? How can they extend your buying hours and squeeze every last nickle out of you?

    ReplyDelete