Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Twelve Twenty Two


Today is the 22nd day of December. It's almost Christmas, the real reason for the season. I got pretty wound up this time of the year as a boy with my birthday and Christmas counting as one.

Did you see the eclipse? The moon was going orange went I went to sleep and it was in full eclipse when I woke up at 5:30.

Can you imagine what the ancients thought when they saw this? They probably thought the Gods were angry and that they would all die. A few would die, probably just out of anxiety and the myth perpetuated itself for centuries.

I am back on old faithful, a year old. I am disappointed it wasn't properly cleaned but it has the updates and spyware removed and is faster than ever. The screen is brighter too, not sure what caused that.

That laptop is handy but I will take my main desk computer anyday over anything else. I have everything set just like I want it after 20 years of experience.

I started with the Radio Shack Model I, CoCo, Model III, Atari, Apple II, IIe, IIc, you name it. I went throught computers like I go through 9/16 inch wrenches.

I changed my life with my computer. I changed the way I farm, the way I live, even met LuAnn on the computer. It's a very powerful tool.

I won't say I found God on the computer but I bet some people have. I already knew Him, the computer just helped me access the writings about Him as Bibles and Catechisms and everything Christian has been computerized.

Farmers can take their hands off the wheel now with RTK and newer technologies giving them time to access the phone, internet and whatever from their tractor or combine mini office.

I told my parents I could go far in electronics but they thought it was wierd science in 1968 and you should go the University and study music. I love music but I never wanted to study it to that extent.

I wanted to be a farmer first and that was forbidden. Then I wanted to be a electronics technician and that was forbidden. So I went to the University to study music and look what happened. I became an ag teacher in 3 years and filled the teacher shortage in 1971 and the rest is history.

Note to young readers, your choice in spouse and career will determine your happiness and destiny.

That will be my main advice to the grandchildren as they reach age. As I wondered yesterday, I have no idea what they will pursue in life but you can already match traits to careers, we will just have to see how it all works out.

Happy Twelve Twenty Two! The picture shows what I was thinking about a year ago.

Ed

1 comment: