Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Farm Facts


Here is where we were a year ago. This year we are finished with this farm and the crop was planted later because of double crop and cover crop. How much difference a year makes!
Last year was a little more yield, this year was a little better market price, I bet we as one operation come out about the same on net profit. At least we are talking net profit, not loss.
Here is the latest in Farm Facts in the world according to Monsanto I found on AGCO's Facebook website.
"U.S. Farm Facts
To keep up with population growth more food will have to be produced in the next 50 years as the past 10,000 years combined.

Today, the average U.S. farmer feeds 155 people. In 1960, a farmer fed just 26 people.

Today’s farmer grows twice as much food as his parents did – using less land, energy, water and fewer emissions.

American farmers ship more than $100 billion of their crops and products to many nations.
U.S. farmers produce about 40 percent of the world's corn, using only 20 percent of the total area harvested in the world.

Farmers are a direct lifeline to more than 24 million U.S. jobs in all kinds of industries.

In the past five years, U.S. farm operators have become more demographically diverse. The 2007 census counted nearly 30 percent more women as principal farm operators. The count of Hispanic operators grew by 10 percent, and the counts of American Indian, Asian and African-American farm operators increased as well."
If I really do feed 155 people with my products, I am very humbly proud about that. It's like my whole life's work was a Christian mission, teaching children and raising food. I like that. That fits me to a T.
The jobs fact is so important, thus my blog on Ethanol the other day. We really need it, just for jobs right now if nothing else!
I have several topics I would like to explore. The NPR deal, the Verizon Frontier deal, the election and a host of others are projects. What would like to hear?
My best readers give me feedback. My very best readers have a Google account and leave me comments on each blog. I really like that, it helps me see what you are thinking.
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment