Friday, August 13, 2010

Antique

So many of us baby boomers are antique to our children and grandchildren. We are old.

We visited the annual Georgetown Farm Machinery show this moring before it got too hot outside. I found these three Super MTA Farmall's in identical condition.

There are so many people older than me I still feel young. That is the way I felt today. I must admit the walking was getting to my feet. The warmer it got the wetter my shoes were. There was still dew on at noon.

There were hundreds of tractors there and lots of my favorites, the Olivers. That is a huge collection of Oliver 1950 GM's at this show I didn't show you. That goes back to when I was in high school. I never knew of any when I was of that age but saw a few when I went to college and came back home.

I saw one sad looking White 2-70. I call it a 1655 in White's sheet metal. That is the only new tractor I ever bought in 1976. I could have bought a John Deere 4030 for $1500 more than the White. White was going down and Deere was getting stronger but if I noticed that I didn't pay attention.

If I had paid attention I could be like some of my readers. I could be driving John Deere and probably have made more money because of it. A certain brand of machine seems to represent a whole different mindset like Chevy vs Ford vs. Dodge guys. Deere vs IH has always been big in ag and now there is only Deere and Case New Holland and Agco. Agco will probably go first.

Someday they will all be antique like me.

Ed

1 comment:

  1. One friend said the picture I sent of the 1950 Jimmy with tricyle front end was rare. Most of those tractors were sold with a wide front end as tricycle front ends were going out and wide front ends were being adopted in the mid 80's. The first wide front end larger tractor on our farm was the 2-70 White I bought in 1976.

    ReplyDelete