Monday, March 29, 2010

Lettuce


An old saying here is Let Us Plant Lettuce. I want to plant a little today.
"Lettuce (Lactuca sativa) is a temperate annual or biennial plant of the daisy family Asteraceae. It is most often grown as a leaf vegetable. In many countries, it is typically eaten cold, raw, in salads, sandwiches, hamburgers, tacos, and in many other dishes. In some places, including China, lettuce is typically eaten cooked and use of the stem is as important as use of the leaf. Both the English name and the Latin name of the genus are ultimately derived from lac, the Latin word for “milk”, referring to the plant’s milky juice. Mild in flavour, it has been described over the centuries as a cooling counterbalance to other ingredients in a salad."


Lettuce is a cole crop so it likes cool weather, 45-65 degrees. That is where we are temperature wise. Nothing grows well but weeds in this muddy condition but I bet I can find a spot to sow some on.


I always plant too thick and plant too much. If you rub it between your thumb and forefinger it works better. It would be neat to watch them plant it commercially. I assume it would be a Monosem planter because it handles the smallest seeds pretty well.


I might put it in a flower bed because I think that will be the driest spot I can find. And, the lettuce will be gone by the time we put in some pretty flowers.


Have you ever had fresh Buttercrunch with cottage cheese and pineapple? That is a tasty treat beyond compare.


I would like to see lettuce commercially grown and harvested. I like to see what makes things tick.


I hope I have enough of the right seed. There is drawer full of garden seeds but I sowed so much last time I am not sure I have enough for today. A farmer should always have a stash of fresh seed.


A BLT would taste really good right now, what a combination of flavors.


It all starts with a little seed.


Somewhere on this computer I bet I have a picture of a lettuce bed. I will probably end up with a picture not of my own.


Ed Winkle


3 comments:

  1. My wife beat you by two weeks. Of course if the lettuce was not in a raised bed it would be under water right now...
    You should take a tour to California. I think they do it on a pretty big scale there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have done it at the same time but I didn't.

    Don't even mention raised beds to me. That is what LuAnn brings up everytime we talk about this.

    I bet we have some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, I discovered your blog by means of Google even as looking for a comparable topic, your site got
    here up, it seems great. I have bookmarked it in my
    google bookmarks.
    Hi there, just become alert to your weblog via
    Google, and found that it is really informative.
    I am going to be careful for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future.
    Lots of folks might be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!

    Feel free to visit my page ... lakota cash advance
    My page :: I recommend you read this

    ReplyDelete