Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rain


We got more rain the last two days. Not a flood like many have had but just enough to keep us from planting soon. This week looks iffy again.

I haven't walked the 50 acre corn plot again but there are some weed escapes. Overall, the corn looks amazing for little heat and too much rain for the residue we have.

I really wonder how will this crop turn out?

As I have said, it is a very unusual growing year. It is too cool and damp to even set tomato plants out. Since corn is a tropical crop, I am surprised it looks as good as it does.

I saw my first good field of soybeans today near Plain City, Ohio. They are in 30 inch rows.

I was at the annual Certified Seed School which started at the Ohio Seed Improvement Association and ended up with lunch and training at the Der Dutchman II at Plain City south on US 42.

Cerfified wheat acres are down over last year but non GMO soybean acres look to be up considerably from last year. This is in response to market premium for non GMO soybeans.

We have had a tumultous two weeks here we will share with you when I get time.

The Circle of Life seems to be an important blog I need to make.

Right now I am more interested in resting up and getting ready for next week.

I could have written a book yesterday on our experience in Columbus but we didn't bring LuAnn's notebook computer with us. We never dreamed what happened did.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment